Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Let's go on Vacation! Part 1: The Place

Last week, I went on vacation. In many ways, it was the first real vacation I've ever been on. Not that I've never been on a vacation before; there was my honeymoon almost 14 years ago, but, for some reason, a honeymoon doesn't feel like a "vacation" to me. And there was one other family vacation about 6 years ago, but that one, also, did not feel like a vacation. Probably because my kids were too young. I took them on vacation, but I didn't get one out of that deal. But this one... this one was good.

It was up at Trinity Lake in the Trinity Alps. We stayed at the Trinity Lakes KOA and rented a cabin.
Our cabin, which is, evidently, their "best" cabin, although we didn't know that ahead of time.
The view up the road to our cabin which is down at the end.
The view out of our bedroom window.
The general area as seen from the lake.

I'm not really much for camping. I'm sure that goes back to a traumatic camping event from middle school (story for another time (yeah, I know I'm always saying that and never getting to those "another times," but no one ever reminds me!)), but I've discovered that cabin camping is pretty good. Actually, it was kind of the only way I would consent to go camping. Not that I said it that way, and I would have gone even without renting a cabin, but I wouldn't have really enjoyed myself. In the cabin, though... it was good.

And there was a deck with a picnic table and, down below it, a creek. We kept the window open in the bedroom all the so that we could hear the creek at night. Oh, it was so nice. And sitting out on deck in the mornings with my mocha (sometimes while writing) was... incredible. Other than being repeatedly interrupted by one of my children (who shall remain unnamed), it was possibly the most peaceful thing I've ever experienced.
A view down to the creek from the deck. Yes, I know you can't see the creek. Listen carefully, and, maybe, you can hear it.

So that's the overview. Tall trees, big mountains, bubbling water. No Internet. No outside connections at all. That's a nice thing about not owning a cell phone or iDevice. And no withdrawal symptoms, either, which was somewhat surprising but not at all unpleasant.

Yes, yes, you may envy me now. We are tentatively planning to go back next year. I'm already looking forward to it. 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty nice to me. I haven't "gotten away from it all" in a long, long time. Good for you for doing this.


    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how the camping bug starts... with a cabin... and then suddenly you start yearning for a tent and marshmallow sticks and the next thing you know you're rolling around in a sleeping bag fighting off bugs and bears.

    That photo of the lake and the mountains? GORGEOUS. So glad you and your family had a wonderful time.

    By the way, I was camping last weekend - had a fabulous time - and I managed to find some moments for READING. And guess what? I finally finished YOUR BOOK!!!!!!!! (I just don't get much time to read, it's crazy)

    Loved it, loved it, loved it Andrew! Loved the viewpoint of children. You could always tell who the voice was because you wrote the characters so clearly. The story was "real" and down to earth, even though the subject veers off into the realm of fantasy - but the family itself is rooted in the familiarity of the real world and I loved that. Great book! Really enjoyed it! Well done!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound peaceful. Too many traumatic camping trips as a kid ruined it for me though. A three star hotel is now my idea of camping.
    But sometimes, just getting away from everything can be good. Sounds like you need to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disconnecting and being in a place surrounded by trees and water is the best. I grew up backpacking in Colorado, but I'm all for four walls and a solid bed now when I "camp" too.

    Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds relaxing! I got my masters degree in outdoor recreation & natural resource management, but haven't been camping since I got married. You're giving me the itch to spend the night outside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to make a getaway happen! It sounded like it was very relaxing and rejuvenating for you and your family. Cabin with bed is way better than tent with sleeping bag on cot or ground if you want to relax! Motorhome is perhaps even a better way to rough-it, though I haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures look like a very nice relaxing place. My hubby still insists on tenting it when we go camping. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like such an amazing trip. I am definitely envious. My trip to Spain a week ago was terrific, but doesn't sound quite as relaxing as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you - cabin camping is the way to go. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lee: My first time, really, although I'm still not sure if it counts since I had the kids with me. heh

    Bonnee: It was!

    Cathy: You know, I'm never gonna yearn for a tent. I have done that several times, and it's never been all that enjoyable. Even in big tents you can stand up in. I think I'll stick with the whole cabin thing. We did plenty of marshmallows. There was an ongoing thing about who could pull off the most shells and still have more 'mallow to roast.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! :) So, um, now, you're job is to tell everyone how awesome it is, because people don't believe me when I tell them. Something about not being objective or some such. :P Oh, and if you could leave a review on Amazon that would be awesome!
    And I'm glad you liked it! Did I say that?

    Alex: I know the feeling. I'll post about mine at some point, and we can commiserate.

    L.G.: Well, I grew up running around in the woods of east Texas, but that all ended up in a bed at night. I love the wilderness part; wilderness is awesome.

    Jess: Well... um... spend a night in your garden?

    Donna: I've never tried the whole RV thing, either, but I'm thinking the whole gas issue with those things would be a barrier to me.

    GG: Hide the tent?

    S.L.: Hmm... relaxing trip to the mountains or Spain? I'm thinking if I was offered the choice (as in they were equal cost and all that), I would choose Spain. Even without the relaxation.

    Melodie: I did! I would have stayed another week just to get to sit out on the deck in the mornings with my mocha writing.

    ReplyDelete